Hitting the Road-2018

Leaving Portland this morning my goal is to arrive in Salt Lake by dinner. I thought the time change gave me an extra hour so I could dawdle before departure. I mentioned this to a friend and she said: "Oh, are you driving west?" I don’t think she was being a wiseacre, but I’m not sure. In any case, it will be an early start. 

I can think of three ways this trip will differ from last year’s. One is weather. Last years‘ fall, northern route made for pleasant, sometimes cool temperatures the whole time which led to a fair amount of camping. This year Precious and I will be in the south and are looking at temperatures in the 80’s and 90’s. Possibly the 100’s. Precious is hoping to spending less time in tents and more time in air-conditioned motels. I expect her to get her wish. 

Another difference: Emma Peel, our trusty steed, powered by the cheating diesel engine designed and sold by the criminals at VW has been modified. The modification was much more extensive than I had realized it would be. Mileage and performance may be affected, which I can live with. I just hope the engine doesn’t fall out in the middle of Texas. 

The third difference this year is the nature of the trip. Last year was meant to be a journey. I wanted to end in a different space than I began and I did. This year is more of a lark. "July Fourth in New Hampshire?"- sounds like fun. So this trip is not meant to be life-changing, but you never know.

Itinerary: Portland-Salt Lake City- Santa Fe- New Orleans- DC- New York City- New Hampshire- ?- Portland. Time: five weeks give-or-take. 

One more difference this year. As you may have noticed, Precious has so far not wanted to do any writing this year. The quality of the writing will go down, but so will the number of typos, which you would expect if you have ever tried to type with your paws.

Our departure was delayed because Precious couldn’t get an appointment for a haircut until yesterday.

Comments

  1. Not to be too pedantic (just the right amount of pedantic), but every tick of the clock is life changing, hence life. My guess, you'll end up in a different space; and Precious too. Good time travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Move over DeLorean, Emma Peel is the new time machine.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ride Around Manhattan, Literally

Soul sisters

A New York Story