A New York Story

I am cruising up the bike lane on 8th Avenue on a bikeshare bike. In order to avoid a surcharge I need to change bikes every thirty minutes. I stop at a station at 55th Street. As I lock the bike I notice my shoulder bag is gone. It has fallen out of the side of the front cargo compartment. I have to wait two minutes to check out another bike. Adrenalin won’t let me wait and I start jogging back the way I came. In four and a half blocks I see my bag on the curb with a woman standing by it dialing her phone, presumably my home number which is visible on the bright orange address tag. She says that she was waiting in case someone came back for it. She says this in an accent that the current administration seems to want to hear less of. Needless to say, I am reminded of last year’s visit to New York when I left my phone in a coffee shop restroom. As I stood in line a man came out asking if someone had mislaid their phone. Obviously, I am looking for a dishonest person in New York City. So far I have failed.

Not being a true Manhattanite I went to Brooklyn, specifically Williamsburg, where a huge riverside development project is underway. It centers around the old Domino sugar refinery. The riverside amenities are in place, the buildings to follow. From there I ferried back to Manhattan, always a wonderful way to see a city. 

Yesterday was sports day. After watching France finally play some scintillating football, I accompanied my host to Forest Hills to watch him play in a tournament. After a slow start he dominated the match. His reward, an 8am match today. At least he will beat today’s heat, which may hit 100 degrees. After Spain plays host Russia today Precious and I will depart the city. It is hard to believe we have spent a week here until I tally all we have done. A monster bike ride, quality family time, art museum, sports, happy hours, pizza, and just walking around. I made some friends and Precious met some dogs.

The heat promises to continue, but tomorrow afternoon will find us lakeside. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ride Around Manhattan, Literally

Soul sisters